Monday 8 October 2012

We travel all around England!

I've just got back from a lovely week away in Somerset. I can assure you that it was a much needed break and I left just in time to come home as now the weather has turned sour. Rain storms and blustery winds, which I don't really mind because, I'm all cooped up in my room trying to forget I have to go back to work tomorrow after a blissful ten days off.

My last week at work was horrendously stressful and I think the only thing that got me through it was this holiday! I had end of year presentations to do, signing off of competency work books and of course handing in my notice for my new job! I get so nervous even at the thought of presenting my own work in front of a group of what seemed like judges but hey ho, it's done now, and after all it wasn't as bad as what I thought it would be. Overall good feedback and one less thing I have to worry about and I was off on holiday.

Somerset really is a beautiful part of the country, and made even better with your own private hot tub. On the day of arrival, the first thing Anthony and I did was jump in the hot tub. It really was a lovely treat, this then followed by a tasty pub meal and then back in to the hot tub before retiring to bed.

Many nights during our holiday spent relaxing in this beaut!
I'll just highlight a few of my favourite memories from our week away as I'm sure, you don't want to read me waffle on about every single detail of our holiday.

On our first trip out, we had planned to go to a little seaside town with a cliff railway, this plan was then ruined by police shutting the main road there and myself being far too lazy to get the road map out and find another way. We did go there eventually but not on this occasion. Instead we ended up at a farm, complete with cafe, shop and you guessed it all sorts of animals to look at and walk around the fields with. The best part about this day out was the fact there was a herd of alpacas. I think they're amazing, also it was free and you could enjoy the views of both the countryside and the sea. Wonderful day out and great start to the holiday.

Beautiful alpacas

Had to be done
My all time favourite moment of the holiday was of course, visiting the River Cottage Canteen, Anthony took me out for lunch and it was awesome!

My new favourite place ever!
I absolutely loved it. I loved the food, the layout, the fact everything was local, that it's also a deli and a cafe as well as a restaurant. I decided to go for a dish of Exmouth Mussels cooked in cider, a local cider called Sheppy's which we had earlier in the week visited the farm and museum. It was probably one of the best things I'd eaten all week, it also had raw leek in, which I'd never had before but really added a subtle taste to the dish. To accompany this I had chips and fresh bread, the chips really were the best I've ever tasted. They were crispy, but not greasy and really fluffy. Hugh Fearnley-Whittinstall beware, I will be returning to the River Cottage Canteen. Best day out ever, the Canteen was then followed by the seaside which I also loved. All in all a very lovely day out and one I will not be forgetting a in hurry.

I'll leave you with a few of my favourite pictures from our wonderful week in Somerset.

The Cliff Railway

Anthony in the Exmoor Hills

Sheppy's Cider apples
Lyme Regis and the Jurassic coast

The windy seaside of Sidmouth

Pretty historic Dunster
That concludes my blog of my well deserved, wonderful week's holiday in Somerset. I don't live far from Somerset so I will most definitely be planning a few day trips to enjoy some more of this beautiful county.

No comments:

Post a Comment