Saturday 22 September 2012

We make all the Moomin pies!

Tonight I thought I'd have another go at making Moomin onion pie, I made it during the winter and loved it! It's so simple to make, at first I thought it would just taste 'alright' I was so wrong. It's proper winter comfort food, really homely and warming. The pie has a really unusual pastry case using grated carrots, this makes it even better. It gives it more texture and adds flavour to the pastry but it's not over powering, plus the filling is amazing. They work really well together and if this is what they eat on a day to day basis in Finland, I'm there! You must give this a go, it's definitely in my 10 ten favourite meals. It's great for freezing and you can have it hot or cold to suit your mood, or even have for lunch the day after.

Well here it is so you can give it a try...

Moomin mouth-watering onion pie


Nommy!
What you'll need:
50g Butter or margarine
1-2 Carrots (finely grated)
50g Plain flour (I used wholemeal because I think it tastes better)
50g Rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
For the filling:
3 Large onions (cut into strips)
1 tbsp oil
100ml Cream
1 Egg (beaten)
120g Grated cheese (I used cheddar)
Salt and pepper to taste

  1. Preheat oven to 225 °C
  2. Mix the butter and the grated carrot; this is better when the butter has been left at room temperature to go soft. Add the flour, rolled oats, baking powder and the salt and mix this to a smooth paste.
  3. Roll the pasty out, and with your hands press into a quiche dish so it covers the bottom and the edges.
  4. Pre-cook the pastry case for 5-10minutes until it's firm.
  5. Meanwhile lightly fry the onions in the oil until the onions are soft and translucent and not brown.
  6. In a bowl mix together the cream, the egg, the cheese and seasonings then add the onions.
  7. Pour the onion mixture into the pastry case and bake in the oven for 10-15minutes or until the surface has browned at 200°C.
  8. ENJOY!
Really hope you give this a go, you won't regret it and once you do it once I can assure you'll be making it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment