Monday 5 March 2012

We have all the sausages!

On Friday night I decided to try a new recipe which was simple, easy and cheap to make. I have a subscription to a cooking magazine called good to know recipes and has many simple yet easy recipes in along with the more time consuming show off dishes. I had chosen to make a sausage and mushroom crumble. I know what you're thinking. It seemed a bit odd to me as well at first but I tell you what it was lovely, a quick simple mid-week meal.

As it was so lovely I thought I would share this recipe with you, so you too can enjoy this yummy dish!


Might not be the best looking dish ever but it tasted yummy

 Ingredients

8 thick sausages, e.g. Cumberland
4tbsp sunflower oil 
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped 
250g (8oz) button mushrooms, quartered 
2 x 295g can of condensed cream of mushroom soup 
200ml (7fl oz) milk
For the topping: 
150g (5oz) self-raising flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper 
100g (3½ oz) butter, cubed

Method
  1. Set the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6).
  2. Skin the sausages and cut each one into 3-4 pieces, and shape the portions into small balls.
  3. Heat the oil in a pan. Add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until the onion starts to soften. Add the balls of sausage meat to the pan and cook for a further 4-5 minutes, turning them occasionally until they start to brown. Add the quartered mushrooms to the pan and cook for a further 3-4 minutes. Pour in the soup and milk, and stir to break down the soup as it may be very thick. Bring the mixture to a simmer and then cook for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, for the topping: Tip the flour into a bowl and season it well. Rub in the butter until the mixture starts to bind together and forms a crumble texture.
  5. Divide the sausage and mushroom mixture between the ovenproof dishes. Scatter crumble topping over it. Put the dishes on a baking tray and place in the centre of the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes or until the topping is a light golden colour. Remove from the oven and serve immediately. (Not suitable for freezing).
I added some extra ingredients to my crumble, mixed herbs and garlic and I also used whole meal flour instead just generally because I think it tastes better. I think this is a recipe which you could easily add ingredients to the mix or generally just make a bit of a mash up. If you're not over keen on sausages I feel that cooked chicken would work really well instead. Give it a go and I hope you enjoyed it as much as Anthony and I did.

This recipe and many others can be found on the Good to know recipes website.
Good to know recipes

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment